“The goal of the Browne Academy athletic department is to be welcoming to all Middle School students while at the same time maintaining a competitive presence on the fields and courts.”—Browne Academy Athletic Director David Post
The interscholastic athletic program at Browne Academy provides its athletes with the opportunity to a) increase their knowledge of and skills in their chosen sport(s), b) learn to compete fairly, c) increase their level of physical fitness, d) embrace teamwork and foster school spirit.
Browne Academy’s athletic program is open to all middle school students, Grades 5-8, who are in good academic standing. We offer the following sports during the year:
- Co-ed soccer (5/6 team and 7/8 team).
- Cross country (5-8 co-ed).
- Girls and boys basketball (5/6 and 7/8 team for each gender).
- Co-ed ultimate Frisbee.
- Softball (dependent upon other schools’ ability to form a team).
All student-athletes and parents sign the following Code of Conduct before participating in the Inter-scholastic program.
Browne Academy’s Athletic Code of Conduct
- I will encourage good sportsmanship by being a positive role model. (Remember that the best way to teach sportsmanship is by example)
- I will try my best to make athletics a positive experience for everyone involved by treating other players, coaches, officials, and fans with respect.
- I will remember that, at this level, the focus is on the experience of participating on a team and developing my skills. (This is not a “win at all costs” program.)
Browne Academy is a member of the ABC Athletic League of Greater Washington, composed of the following schools:
- Alexandria Country Day School
- Browne Academy
- Burgundy Farm Country Day School
- Capitol Hill Day School
- Green Hedges School
- Gesher Jewish Day School
- Merritt Academy
The interscholastic athletic program is held after-school from approximately 3:30-5:30pm. The 7th/8th grade sports teams typically practice and hold games on Tuesdays and Thursdays, and the 5th/6th grade sports teams typically practice and hold games on Mondays and Wednesdays.